[I suspended this service, pending resolution of an inquiry from a state regulatory agency.]
I’m not an advisor but I can help you find one (sorry, only in the U.S.).
Financial advisors who operate under the straight and narrow Advice-Only model are the true gems. Most advisors are going after the holy grail of selling you products for commissions or managing your money for a large recurring fee year after year. Many other advisors offer service billed hourly or by project only as a hook for the “full service” investment management. This leaves a tiny percentage of advisors who offer the good honest Advice-Only services.
I’m offering to be your personal scout to search and screen for advisors in your area who meet these Advice-Only criteria:
- The advisor’s firm is a Registered Investment Adviser (RIA) registered with the SEC or at the state level.
- The advisor acts as a fiduciary and puts your interest first.
- The advisor has Certified Financial Planner (CFP®) certification, other professional credential, or equivalent experience.
- The advisor does NOT sell products that pay the advisor a commission (cash-value life insurance, annuities, load funds, individual muni bonds, non-traded REITs, limited partnerships, …).
- The advisor does NOT offer to manage your money for a recurring fee either as a percentage of your asset value or on a monthly or annual retainer. Charging a recurring fee for financial planning is OK.
- The advisor does NOT, for revenue sharing or markup, refer you to someone else who will manage your money for a recurring fee. Recommending unaffiliated financial institutions is OK.
- The advisor strictly offers his or her advice for a fee. The advisor treats you as a competent adult able to follow the advice. Assistance in opening accounts or filling out forms is OK. Accepting prepayment for follow-ups or incidental questions that come up is OK.
[If you are reading this as a financial advisor and you meet the Advice-Only criteria, please nominate yourself as a potential candidate.]
For a payment of $300, I will find 3 such advisors in your area. If I can’t find them locally, I will find advisors who offer meetings remotely by phone or online video conferencing.
A small up-front investment yields tremendous savings compared to working with someone who sells you expensive products or someone who charges a percentage of your assets to manage your money. See How Much Does Advice-Only Cost?
I will weed out advisors who are not Advice-Only. I will visit their website, read their documents, and contact them to evaluate their services. I know what to look for and I know what questions to ask. Read what makes me qualified to do this job. In doing the search for you, I only work for you. I do NOT take any money from the advisors.
I narrow it down to 3 names and I give you my research results. You decide whom you will work with after you meet with the candidates. Almost all advisors offer a free introduction meeting.
If you are interested in having me do the search and screening for you, please fill out the form below.
[Signup form removed. I suspended this service, pending resolution of an inquiry from a state regulatory agency.]